Monday, 18 July 2016

Four Days in the Rain Making Art

When I was packing for our camping trip I decided to leave most of my art supplies at home. All I brought were tools that I made or gathered from the landscape (birch bark sketchbook, charcoal, stick and quill pens and various inks). I also planned on making Land Art whenever I had a chance. Here's a picture of me on the first day with my sketchbook, which was the only chance I had to draw in it because it rained for four days straight. 

Birch bark sketchbook

Sewn with hemp 


Charcoal and ink drawings (Buffalo Berry, Blackcurrant and Coffee Inks)

There was something beautiful and peaceful about the gray skies and the sound of the rain in the forest. Everything looked so green and smelled amazing! Rather than hide from the rain Mark and I decided to embrace it. We put on our rain gear and set out each day to have an adventure and make some art. I loved every minute of it. Even when my land art sculptures got covered in mud or when my hands were wet and cold, I remember thinking "This is so much fun! I'm so thankful to be here." On the last day, we built a shelter near the river, gathered willow, removed the bark and then weaved it with wildflowers.

Mark removing the bark from willow branches

So many big puddles to play in

Weaving willow and wildflowers

I never knew that spending four days in the mountains, in the rain, with a five-year-old could be so much fun and have such a profound impact on me as a person and an artist. I plan to spend more time this summer creating art outside with tools that I make from the landscape. This process is incredibly satisfying and leaves me feeling deeply connected to the world around me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment